Protecting Georgia motorists who have been harmed by a defective product
When you purchase a car, you expect that the safety measures are up-to-date and functioning. If the worst occurs and you get into an accident, the airbags are supposed to provide an extra layer of protection for you and your passengers. However, 10 vehicle manufacturers have recently issued recalls on more than 7.8 million vehicles equipped with defective airbags manufactured by Takata Corp. The experienced products liability attorneys at the Savannah law firm of Owens & Mulherin are filing wrongful death and economic damage class action lawsuits on behalf of injured people and the families of those killed. We are dedicated to getting justice for the victims of defective Takata airbags.
National recall of defective Takata driver side airbags
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recalled vehicles made with certain Takata driver side airbags after multiple reports of airbag defects. These airbags have been found to explode and potentially shoot metal shrapnel at vehicle occupants, and recently filed complaints indicate that Takata has known about this safety hazard for more than 10 years.
The current recall is focused on high humidity areas, as the defect is believed to be triggered by exposure to excessive moisture. However, many are calling for the immediate recall of all vehicles equipped with Takata airbags. The NHTSA has issued an order to all of the vehicle manufacturers to test the airbags outside of the current recall areas in order to see if the airbags work properly in areas with lower humidity.
Our personal injury attorneys have extensive knowledge of this recall. We can help you determine if you can make a products liability claim after a Takata airbag has malfunctioned. Please clink this news article.
Potentially affected vehicles
Our firm has three cases involving the defective Takata airbags. In one case, the driver of a car was involved in a wreck, his airbag deployed, and a piece of the airbag impaled in his neck. Amazingly, it missed his carotid artery and his trachea so he lived! Of course, he required emergency surgery to control the bleeding and to remove the large fragment lodged in his lower neck.
We also represent a young lady who was less fortunate. She died as a result of the deployment of her airbag and the resulting sharp metal shrapnel that was expelled into her neck. That young lady was also full term pregnant. Her daughter was delivered alive while emergency staff were trying to save the mother’s life. Unfortunately, the baby then died three days later from injuries incurred in the same incident.
The above collisions were all low speed collisions involving drivers who were using their seat and lap belts. Thus, the belts and the airbag should have saved the drivers from any significant harm. Instead, the airbag inflators resulted in serious injury and wrongful death.
Many of the Takata manufactured airbag inflators were manufactured in the United States, including in LaGrange, Georgia. The above cases have been filed in US Federal District Court and are currently pending against the various Takata and Honda entities. If you or a loved one have been injured or killed by a Takata airbag, we can help. Please contact us and we will file suit shortly thereafter.
To date, filed complaints claim that faulty Takata airbags are responsible for four deaths and 139 injuries. The car models with potentially defective airbags include:
- BMW. 2000-2005 3 Series Sedan; 2000–2006 3 Series Coupe; 2000–2005 3 Series Sports Wagon; 2000–2006 3 Series Convertible; 2001–2006 M3 Coupe; 2001–2006 M3 Convertible
- Chrysler. 2003–2008 Dodge Ram 1500; 2005–2008 Dodge Ram 2500; 2006–2008 Dodge Ram 3500; 2006–2008 Dodge Ram 4500; 2008 Dodge Ram 5500; 2005–2008 Dodge Durango; 2005–2008 Dodge Dakota; 2005–2008 Chrysler 300; 2007–2008 Chrysler Aspen
- Ford. 2004 Ranger; 2005–2006 GT; 2005–2007 Mustang
- General Motors. 2003–2005 Pontiac Vibe; 2005 Saab 9-2X
- Honda. 2001–2007 Honda Accord; 2001–2005 Honda Civic; 2002–2006 Honda CR-V; 2003–2011 Honda Element; 2002–2004 Honda Odyssey; 2003–2007 Honda Pilot; 2006 Honda Ridgeline; 2003–2006 Acura MDX; 2002–2003 Acura TL/CL; 2005 Acura RL
- Lexus. 2002–2005 Lexus SC
- Mazda. 2003–2007 Mazda 6; 2006–2007 Mazda Speed 6; 2004–2008 Mazda RX-8; 2004–2005 MPV; 2004 B-Series Truck
- Mitsubishi. 2004–2005 Lancer; 2006–2007 Raider
- Nissan. 2001–2003 Nissan Maxima; 2001–2004 Nissan Pathfinder; 2002–2006 Nissan Sentra; 2001–2004 Infiniti I30 and I35; 2002–2003 Infiniti QX4; 2003–2005 Infiniti FX35 and FX45; 2006 Infiniti M35 and M45
- Subaru. 2003–2005 Baja; 2003–2005 Legacy; 2003–2005 Outback; 2004–2005 Impreza
- Toyota. 2002–2005 Corolla; 2003–2005 Corolla Matrix; 2002–2005 Sequoia; 2003–2005 Tundra
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident while driving one of these cars, you may be able to file a lawsuit. Our experienced wrongful death attorneys are prepared to fight for you.
Contact knowledgeable product liability attorneys in Savannah, GA
Our attorneys are dedicated to helping clients recover compensation after an injury. To learn more about Takata airbag defects and whether you have a claim, call Owens & Mulherin at 912-212-2100 or contact us online today. We offer a free in-person initial consultation. We also work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning that you owe us nothing unless you receive compensation. Our office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., but we’re available at other times, including weekends, by appointment.